Sunday 14 August 2016

Accepting the Lord’s Will and Timing

This post is based on an article that I love from this month's issue of Liahona, called "Accepting the Lord's Will and Timing" by Elder David A. Bednar. I would like to share with you some favourite parts that I loved while I was reading the article.

"Scriptures concerning the Savior’s suffering as He offered the infinite and eternal atoning sacrifice became even more poignant and meaningful to me. I believe most of us likely would expect a man with the spiritual capacity, experience, and stature of Elder Maxwell to face serious illness and death with an understanding of God’s plan of happiness, with assurance and grace, and with dignity.
“Not My Will, but Thine, Be Done”
We recognized a principle that applies to every devoted disciple: strong faith in the Savior is submissively accepting of His will and timing in our lives even if the outcome is not what we hoped for or wanted. Righteousness and faith certainly are instrumental in moving mountains if moving mountains accomplishes God’s purposes and is in accordance with His will.

Righteousness and faith certainly are instrumental in healing the sick, deaf, and lame if such healing accomplishes God’s purposes and is in accordance with His will. Thus, even if we have strong faith, many mountains will not be moved. And not all of the sick and infirm will be healed. If all opposition were curtailed, if all maladies were removed, then the primary purposes of the Father’s plan would be frustrated.

Many of the lessons we are to learn in mortality can be received only through the things we experience and sometimes suffer. And God expects and trusts us to face temporary mortal adversity with His help so we can learn what we need to learn and ultimately become what we are to become in eternity.

The Meaning of All Things

You are facing, have faced, or will yet face equivalent challenges in your lives with the same courage and spiritual perspective ..

I do not know why some people learn the lessons of eternity through trial and suffering while others learn similar lessons through rescue and healing. I do not know all of the reasons, all of the purposes, and I do not know everything about the Lord’s timing. With Nephi, you and I can say that we “do not know the meaning of all things”  (1 Nephi 11:17).

But some things I absolutely do know. I know we are spirit sons and daughters of a loving Heavenly Father. I know the Eternal Father is the author of the plan of happiness. I know Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer. I know Jesus enabled the Father’s plan through His infinite and eternal Atonement. I know the Lord, who was “bruised, broken, [and] torn for us,”2 can succor and strengthen “his people according to their infirmities” (Alma 7:12). And I know one of the greatest blessings of mortality is to not shrink and to allow our individual will to be “swallowed up in the will of the Father” (Mosiah 15:7).

Though I do not know everything about how and when and where and why these blessings occur, I do witness they are real. And I know that as you press forward in your lives with steadfast faith in Christ, you will have the capacity to not shrink."

I encourage you to read the whole article in your own time. Here's the link below.
www.lds.org/liahona/2016/08/accepting-the-lords-will-and-timing

If you can't see the Image what I have shared with this post, the Image says "Strong faith in the Savior is submissively accepting of His will and timing in our lives even if the outcome is not what we hoped for or wanted."

Stay Tuned until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment